ThinkProgress.com (est. 2005) has posted a new theme list to help freelance writers propose relevant news stories to the editors for 2017. The news site, a project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, reports on the interchanges between progressive politics, policy, culture, and social justice.
ThinkProgress wants to publish more of these hot topics in 2017:
- Climate policy: includes climate science, energy, pollution, environmental justice, etc.
- Economy: Trump’s economic policies, the labor movement, discrimination in the workplace, etc.
- Portraits: profile people and groups engaged in protests, with an emphasis on the activist work.
- Refugee crisis: news stories about the remarkable things refugees are doing; or report on the abuses refugees encounter in detention or in fleeing their homes.
- Women’s reproductive rights.
- Diverse voices: viewpoint-driven hot topic stories written by underrepresented, marginalized or suppressed writers.
Adrienne Mahsa Varkiani, an Associate Editor, is in charge of working with freelance writers and receiving pitches. She especially wants to hear from freelancers who reside outside the Washington, D.C. area.
Payment: competitive rates. The amount is discussed with qualified writers.
Read writer’s guidelines at ThinkProgress.com