Book review blog and digital-first publisher Book Smugglers (est. 2008) has issued an open call for submissions to find the best original speculative fiction short stories based on the theme of “AWAKENINGS.”
Founders and publishers Thea James and Ana Grilo plan to publish a minimum of four short fiction stories (or novelettes) united by a main theme. Original artwork by a professional illustrator will supplement each story.
When interpreting the theme, anything goes–from a story about an AI’s first hours of life, to bizarre tales of time travel wherein characters learn how to wield the power for the first time. Writers are encouraged to inject their creativity into the Awakenings theme and create an original story that excites and inspires them.
The editors would like to receive:
- Stories featuring LGBTQIA characters, people of color, and different gender identities.
- Well-written speculative fiction aimed at middle grade, young adult, or adult readers.
- Romance stories, or stories accentuating strong romantic conditions.
- Horror stories, or stories with horror undertones.
- Creative and subversive stories that provoke the status quo with strong characters, engaging storytelling, and fresh concepts.
Word length: 1500-17,500 words, either a short story or a novella-length story.
Payment: 8 cents/word–up to a flat rate of $800 per submission (considered above-pro-rates for this genre).
AWAKENINGS, to be published in the second quarter of 2018, will be Book Smugglers Publishing’s fifth season of short stories, succeeding former anthologies Fairytale Retellings, First Contact, Superheroes, and Gods & Monsters.
Reading period ends: December 31, 2017.