Book review blog and digital-first publisher Book Smugglers (est. 2008) has issued an open call for submissions to find the best original speculative fiction short stories based on the theme of “GODS AND MONSTERS.” Founders and publishers Thea James and Ana Grilo plan to publish a minimum of three stories, connected to the main theme, between May and August 2017. Original artwork by a commissioned illustrator will supplement each story.
Writers are encouraged to inject their creativity into the Gods and Monsters theme and create a story that excites and inspires them. It can be Gods VERSUS Monsters, or Gods but not Monsters, or Monsters without Gods. Writers may overturn these sample themes, embellish upon what “gods and/or monsters” represents, and fine-tune the concept to other plausible nuances and genres under the Speculative Fiction genre.
The editors encourage diverse writers to submit, especially works from marginalized writers with traditionally underrepresented ideas.
The editors welcome writers to submit:
- Stories featuring LGBTQIA characters
- Well-written speculative fiction aimed at middle grade, young adult, or adult readers
- Romance stories, or stories accentuating strong romantic conditions
- Horror stories, or stories with horror undertones
- Creative and subversive stories that provoke the status quo with strong characters, storytelling methods, and concepts.
Word length: The editors want original, unpublished speculative fiction, between 1500 and 17500 words in length.
Payment: 6 cents per word (considered pro-rates for this genre) up to a flat rate of $500 per story.
Reading period closes December 31, 2016. Learn how to submit here.